I finally finished quilting and binding the Bowl o f Cherries quilt. I really do like the way this quilt came out, and I sure hope my Aunt Ann likes it.
See the cherries
Instead of using a separate label, I decided to simply write on the back of the quilt. I’m really liking this idea….it’s simple, it’s easy, and it’s permanent.
I decided to quilt the Bowl of Cherries quilt top with cherries. I thought that would be cute. And it is.
But it was way more work than I anticipated. Stippling/meandering is so second nature to me that I really don’t have to think while I’m doing it…my hands just know what to do and it flows smoothly. This was the first time I tried the cherries, and admittedly I probably should’ve tried it on a small quilt first, but I guess because I’m so comfortable with stippling/meandering I didn’t think it would be a big deal.
It was so much more time consuming than I thought it would be. I had to really think about what I was doing and where I was going. I’m sure it didn’t help that I was attempting this new technique on a quilt 67 x 74. That’s pretty large and challenging to maneuver, and with quilting the cherries, I really needed to be able to move the quilt sandwich around so that the cherries wouldn’t all face the same direction. One thing that I’m so glad I did was quilt from the back. The backing (above) was just one fabric and far less busy than the top. I’m glad I thought ahead to do that because with this technique being able to really see where you’ve been and where you’re going is critical (at least for trying a new technique). So, it was a challenge, nonetheless, and I’m finally done—I’m so excited to be done with the quilting.
Now on to the binding and hand stitching it to the back.
It must just be this time of year, because I seem to have very little time to sew and quilt. When I do find time in the evenings, I’m just too tired to do anything other than curl up on the couch under a quilt and watch some tv.
Even with the motivation to want to get this quilt started and completed on a pretty quick schedule, I’ve had a hard time actually doing it. I need to get it done though, because it’s for my aunt who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and I’d like for her to have a cheerful quilt to help keep her warm during her treatments. I also need to finish so that I can start and finish a baby quilt for my cousin who’s daughter is due to arrive in February.
Needless to say, I need to get busy.
For my aunt’s quilt, I’m using one of my all time favorite patterns: Jelly Filled. I’ve had a jelly roll plus some yardage of Recipe for Friendship by Mary Engelbreit for Moda for about a year…just sitting and waiting for me to do something with…waiting for the perfect occasion. I thought the cheerfulness of this fabric would be a good choice for this quilt.
I’m so in love with Camille’s Jelly Filled pattern, and this was my first quilt using that pattern…except I used fat quarters instead of a jelly roll. On Super Bowl Sunday, one of the local quilt shops had a super sale on fat quarter…$1.25 each! Needless to say I shopped ’til I dropped. I bought a whole bunch of what I call shabby chic fabric, and I used the the Jelly Filled pattern. The pattern is for jelly rolls, but you can easily modify and use fat quarters. 2 strips that are 2.5 x width of fat quarter = 1 jelly roll strip, approximately. You can get 3 jelly roll equivalent strips from 1 fat quarter. Great way to use up fat quarters too.
The quilt top measures 60 x66.
Since I made a quilt for Ellie, I had to also make a quilt for Ethan. It’s much harder to find appropriate fabric for a boy than it is for a girl. Ethan’s room is decorated in a patriotic theme…lots of red, white, blue. So, when I found Sandy Gervais’ Red, White & Bold line I thought that would be perfect for Ethan. I used Camille’s Jelly Filled pattern (love that pattern!)
The quilt measured 67 x 71, and it turned out great…most importantly Ethan loves it, and he likes to remind Ellie that his quilt is bigger than her quilt.
I designed the quilt back myself to look like Old Glory, and I’m super happy with how it turned out.