I decided to quilt the Bowl of Cherries quilt top with cherries. I thought that would be cute. And it is.
But it was way more work than I anticipated. Stippling/meandering is so second nature to me that I really don’t have to think while I’m doing it…my hands just know what to do and it flows smoothly. This was the first time I tried the cherries, and admittedly I probably should’ve tried it on a small quilt first, but I guess because I’m so comfortable with stippling/meandering I didn’t think it would be a big deal.
It was so much more time consuming than I thought it would be. I had to really think about what I was doing and where I was going. I’m sure it didn’t help that I was attempting this new technique on a quilt 67 x 74. That’s pretty large and challenging to maneuver, and with quilting the cherries, I really needed to be able to move the quilt sandwich around so that the cherries wouldn’t all face the same direction. One thing that I’m so glad I did was quilt from the back. The backing (above) was just one fabric and far less busy than the top. I’m glad I thought ahead to do that because with this technique being able to really see where you’ve been and where you’re going is critical (at least for trying a new technique). So, it was a challenge, nonetheless, and I’m finally done—I’m so excited to be done with the quilting.
Now on to the binding and hand stitching it to the back.