I had a good chunk of time yesterday, so I figured I’d start quilting the Merry & Bright quilt top. That is until I actually tried to quilt, and my machine started acting funny. It just got back from being serviced, so I figured I was doing something wrong. I re-threaded the needle probably 20 times, but still no luck. Then 30 minutes later, as I was about to give up, I checked the needle…it wasn’t inserted all the way. Operator Error!!!
Once I figured out the problem I quilted away, but since it was taking so long I had to put it away and come back to it after the kiddos were in bed. It was taking me so much longer than I thought it would. It took me longer to quilt this 57″ square than Ethan’s 67″ x 71″ quilt. I didn’t think that I was quilting any slower either…in fact I feel like I’ve gotten faster as I’ve gotten more comfortable with quilting. But then I compared the quilting of the 2 quilts and discovered that my stippling has gotten tighter and tighter over time, and therefore, there is far more quilting on the Merry & Bright quilt than on Ethan’s quilt.
Ethan’s quilt: which is more of a meander than stipple
Merry & Bright: definitely stippled
Merry & Bright back